Friday, September 30, 2011

Sat Oct 1st Update

Not much to elaborate on here and neglecting to do any written inspiration with this post and save anything I have to say for Saturday morning. In reality, really not much more a Coach can do since this Sat's run is simply wind-down and a token run in our progression through taper. We simply enjoy this run for the fun of it and save ourselves for marathon day!

Hey, bumped into that Coach Brendan from the Ronald McDonald House Charities marathon training program, but discovered he is listed as a Coach on the Chicago Marathon website and he has his own website independent of RMHC. I checked out some of the posts and links on his site, and duly confess, this guy is one heck of a coach and has the skills and knack to motivate individuals to achieve their goals, or even more! There was a very enlightening video-clip that was from CBS "Someone You Should Know" that I thought captured nicely his philosophy. Hey, he advocates run-walking, and that's a pretty good way to approach marathon or longer distances! Let me know if you want me to post the direct url to his website. Just like "PR in a Bottle" I always am amazed to learn something new, Coach Brendan not withstanding! Thanks JB for pointing me in that direction.

Not much else to do at this point but just get up Sat and get that 8-miler done. If any of you are hurting at this point or feeling overly fatigued, well, Coach just says don't worry about mileage and just run whatever feels good and be done with it! You listen to what your body says at this point and go with the flow to keep it happy as best can be (i.e. considering you are training and running a marathon!).

Coach says you're going to do this and finish a marathon! Not sure what the finish time or just how you will feel once you get it done, but I do know pay close attention to your inner feelings and your actions when you come striding cross that finish line. You may be surprised at what you discover.

From my perspective, you got this "in the bag", so speak, you just simply got to show up race morning and do it! Speaking of bags, I got this "Peace-Bag" that has miscellaneous gently used run gear in it that is free to any and all of my trainees, or anyone in the Fleet-Feet run gang! There's a few pairs of CWX tights in there (size L) that are a bit large for me, but those CWX tights are pretty pricy gear, so they are free for the taking. Some other stuff in there that I won't mess with listing - just get your run down and dig through it!

There will be no run lead by me on Saturday before the Sunday race. I already posted on that and those Intermediates that need to run, just do it on your own. If you are feeling strong and in up mood, then just go out and do a 3-4 mile run early Sat morn, running it at goal race pace (after some warm-up) and/or segue into some tempo running 10-15 s faster than GMP, then when your down, do your cool-down or stretching routine, then go carb-load withint 30-45 minutes. That's what I do before every Boston I have run these past 3-years. But, you can always just stay home, stay off your feet, make sure all your gear and stuff is ready for race-day, then get to bed real early. That always works too!

I enjoy running with you and being your Marathon Coach. Mostly, I enjoy seeing all of you have kept your commitment and seem to be in good condition to run your race come marathon day.

This is not and end, simply a beginning!

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment